Also called hepatic transplant, it is the process of replacing a diseased liver with a healthy one from a donor. The most commonly used technique is orthotopic transplantation where a surgeon replaces the diseased liver in the same anatomical position as the original liver. It is the best treatment for end stage liver disease and acute liver failure. A liver transplant is a major surgical procedure and requires some substantial care and recovery.
- Dr Vinay Kumaran
October 24, 2013 at 04:35pm
Dr Vinay Kumaran, answers some common queries about liver transplants.
Ask an expert
- Sonia Gandhi felicitates liver transplant recipient
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Monday felicitated Sanjay Kandasamy, India's first successful liver transplant recipient, as he completed 15 years
- Father’s liver successfully transplanted into 4 year-old-boy Rishi
A four-year-old boy, whose mental and physical growth was retarded by a rare metabolic genetic disorder, was successfully treated with a complex
- 63-year-old Iraqi man gets new life after liver transplant in India
Travelling from one country to another seeking treatment for his liver cancer, 63-year-old Abdul Karim Darvesh, who served as an air marshal during
- Liver regeneration using cell therapy a possibility
Washington, June 10 (ANI): Liver transplantation is the mainstay of treatment for patients with end-stage liver disease, but a new research from the
- Apollo sets up liver transplant centre in Bangalore
Leading super-speciality hospital group Apollo unveiled its centre for liver disease and transplantation here to provide advanced liver
- Pakistani girl undergoes liver transplant procedure in India
Madhia Tariq, 16, had no hope of survival when she slipped into a coma after collapsing in her Lahore school in January due to acute liver failure.
- Indian doctors aid Pakistani patients amid border tensions
A group of Indian doctors were helping their Pakistani counterparts to do complex liver transplants in Lahore even as Pakistani raiders were
- Organ donations in Mumbai records a 15-year high in 2012 due to better awareness
2012 saw a fifth of the all the donations done since 1997 in Mumbai. The number of organ donations in the city was at a 15-year high in 2012, with 63