This Valentine’s Day sex is on the table. There is no point denying it. And it is very important to know everything about all the different birth control methods before you decide to have sex. The decision to choose when to procreate has its basis not only on having heirs but also on financial stability, maturity of the couple involved and the readiness to take on a different gamut of responsibilities.
There are many birth control methods to choose from. As a couple, you need to decide on what form of birth control to practise. These are few things you can keep in mind –
- Consult your gynaecologist to get complete and error free information about the various methods of birth control – either as a couple or individually. If you are choosing to consult a gynaecologist individually, remember to share the information with your partner. It is, after all, the collective responsibility of the couple.
- There is no hard and fast rule that you have to follow only one method of birth control throughout the life of your sexual relationship. You can try a combination of methods, to see what suits you best. But try only one method at a time.
- Birth control can be achieved either by preventing fertilization or by preventing the implantation or by abortion. The couple needs to be aware what each type is and more so, how effective each type is. They also need to be aware if it has any side effects on their health – especially for the women.
- Condoms and diaphragms help in preventing fertilization. They are used during sex and either prevent the sperm from fertilizing the egg. Diaphragms can be used multiple times and has to be cleaned between uses. Depending on usage and storage, diaphragms can be replaced between every year to three years. Condoms, on the other hand, mustn’t be reused as the latex can undergo degradation and may even form tears. There are female condoms available as well.
- Prescriptive birth control methods, like oral contraceptives also aid in preventing the fertilization. It should be ideally followed under medical supervision. Ensure you follow the recommended course for the desired results while using this method.
- If you choose to use Behavioural methods be aware that they are not fool proof. Though, withdrawal method can act as birth control methods, it can result into pregnancy if there is pre-ejaculation. Natural family planning method like following the menstrual cycles to have intercourse can act as birth control method as well. Though any miscalculations about the cycles can lead to pregnancy.
- Sterilization methods are quite popular and effective as a birth control technique. Either the woman can choose to undergo tubal ligation or the man can undergo vasectomy. It involves surgeries and can be reversed if desired.
- Morning-after pills have become a popular method of birth control method. Used after unprotected sex, these pills guarantee to curb unwanted pregnancy. Though convenient and easy to use, this has to be used as little as possible since popping in too many of these pills can have an adverse effect on the health of the woman.
- If you are uncomfortable using a particular method of birth control, communicate the same with your partner. Some methods of birth control can have side effects to the hormones and overall health of the person.
- Be able to differentiate the facts from the myths. Hence if you have any doubts about birth control methods, consult an expert like a doctor for clarifications.
So this Valentine’s Day it’s better to be safe, than sorry. Have a fun Valentine’s Day and a more wicked night.