The members of the IMA (Indian Medical Association) are holding a nationwide strike today to protest the NCHRH bill and various other bureaucratic decisions that they feel is harming doctors.
Recently, the decision to dissolve the Medical Council of India (MCI) and other paramedical bodies like the Nursing Council of India and the Dental Council of India and the formation of National Council for Human Resources in Health (NCHRH) which will replace them is one of the main reasons for this strike. The doctors fear the NCHRH will be governed by bureaucrats instead of doctors and this will lead to vested interests.It is also likely that it will increase red tapism and lead to harassment of doctors and their ilk, They are also opposing the implementation of the Clinical Establishment act.
Here’s the original letter of the Honourary Secretary of the IMA to all its members.
The Presidents and Secretaries
All Local Branches of IMA
Dear Sir/ Ma’am,
The medical profession is going through extremely turbulent times with the Govt. seemingly hell bent on snatching the autonomy of the medical profession.
1. Introduction of National Council for Human Resources in Health (NCHRH) Bill-2011with an aim to create a superarching body over Medical Council of India and Paramedical Councils
2. Implementation of Clinical Establishment (Regn.and Regulation) Act
3. Dissolution of Medical Council of India & 3rd consecutive term for its autocratically appointed Board of Governors are just the tip of the iceberg.
The Central Working Committee of IMA discussed the matters with great concern at its 207th meeting at Mumbai, Mah. on April 22, 2012 and it was decided as follows:-
1. A Protest Dharna of leaders of IMA will be organized at Jantar Mantar, New Delhi on 18th June, 2012.
2. A complete Medical Strike along with a Protest Rally/Dharna in front of the offices of the local authorities related to Health department be organized in all State/ Local Branches of IMA on Monday, the 25th June, 2012.
3. All State and Local Branches of IMA will submit a letter/ emorandum to the political leader / concerned Health Department regarding the above grave issues of concern for the medical profession.
You are requested to kindly:-
1. Sensitize all your members on the gravity of the situation and arrange to organize a complete one-day token protest / Medical Strike in your area on Monday, June 25th, 2012, invite Local Political Leaders of your area, organize press conferences and circulate hand bills etc on the above said issues &
2. Submit a letter/memorandum to the Chief Minister/ Health Minister/ Collector/ MP/ MLA/ Political Leaders/ Health officials of your State/ Branch apprising them about IMA’s viewpoints on all the above issues. The draft matter for Memorandum and IMA’s view points on the above issues are available on this webpage
You will kindly agree that if we surrender to assaults on our profession today, the Govt. will come up with many more suppressive moves to demean and harass the medical profession.
If we don’t act now with our full might to dispel these moves of the Government, our future generations will never excuse us for their predicaments due to our undoings today.
Thanking you and with regards.
Hony Secretary General
Although calling a nationwide protest might be considered in breach of the Hippocratic oath, the fact remains that this is the only way medicos can get everyone’s attention and explain the gravity of the situation. The IMA has also assured people in a press release that emergency cases will not be affected.
Watch this space for more on the IMA doctors’ strike