Want to lose weight and still eat rice? Just switch to brown rice instead of white. Apart from being more nutritious, it also has fat-burning properties.
What is brown rice? How is it different from white rice?
It is just normal rice but with all the nutrients still intact. The reason brown rice has many more nutrients than regular white rice is due to the fact that brown rice has only the outer layer, called the hull(husk), removed while white rice has been refined for convenience removing several nutritious layers—therefore losing all nutrients.
The next time you feel sluggish reach for brown rice. It has several health benefits:
- Brown rice has more than 80% of your daily value of manganese, which gives you energy from both carbohydrates and proteins.
- Manganese also helps synthesize fatty acids, which keeps your nervous system in working order.
- The fiber in brown rice produces the best health benefit of all – fat burning! In addition to requiring more energy to break it down, the fiber in brown rice helps satisfy your appetite and therefore decreases your chances of overeating. That is the equation for fat loss – eat less and burn more!
- The fiber and selenium found in brown rice can also reduce your risk of many types of cancer, which is a health benefit we could all use. Finally, oils found in brown rice can help lower cholesterol, which according to research, we eat too much of already.
Tempted? Want to incorporate brown rice in your diet. Here are a few ways:
The first thing you should do, if you are considering brown rice , is to look for brown versions of your favorite grains. Popular styles such as basmati, jasmine and sushi rice all come in brown variations.
- Cooking brown rice follows the same principles as white rice, the only exception being it has to be soaked for two hours prior to cooking. Soaking softens the hull and makes it easier to cook.
- Add your favorite vegetables or meat to your portion of brown rice and it is a good substitute for the white version.
See how easy it is to enjoy the health benefits of brown rice? Fat burning foods aren’t difficult to find or incorporate into your diet, after all!