Tomatoes are very low in calories and provide plenty of Calcium and vitamin A required for glowing skin, healthy vision and strong bones and teeth. This is a low calorie, quick and easy to make recipe. With the inclusion of Besan (Gram Flour) this recipe is sure to impress.
4 large sized tomatoes
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 green chilli, chopped
5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 cinnamon (dalchini) sticks
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1 tbsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp chilli powder
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp grated jaggery (gur)
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
For the garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and cook them with ½ cup of water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool and liquidize the tomatoes in a food processor to a get a smooth purée. Strain the puree and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chilli, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and gram flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida and puréed tomatoes with 2 cups of water and cook over a medium flame while stirring continuously.
- When the kadhi comes to a boil, add the jaggery and salt and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from the fire.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot with rice.
Tip: If you find the kadhi too spicy, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of low fat milk to mellow it down.