You may have even heard that drinking green tea is an effective way to lose weight. So, is there any logic to this assumption? What are the other benefits of green tea?
Green tea has many ingredients in it such as caffeine, theobromine, saponins, theophylline, vitamins and epigallocatechin. The compound Epigallocatechin (EGCG) boosts your metabolic rate and reduces your appetite. All these compounds lead to thermogenesis which creates heat in the body in turn increasing your metabolic rate.
Drinking tea has been around for ages, but it is only in recent times that the real health benefits of drinking green tea have been explored. The main health benefits come from the antioxidants that it contains.
- These antioxidants are said to be active contributors in fighting all types of cancers.
- Cholesterol is another disease that green tea combats. Green tea helps keep your arteries healthy and unblocked, which will help prevent heart attacks.
- Green tea also regulates blood sugar. It keeps your body hydrated, and it does wonders for your skin.
- Immunity levels are boosted, since green tea has active antibacterial compounds that help your body fight disease more naturally.
- Drinking green tea thrice a day will increase your metabolism, which will encourage your body to lose weight and burn calories faster.
- The hunger instinct is also reduced when you drink two to four cups of green tea and your body does not crave unhealthy snacks.
- Two to four cups of green tea burns 70 to 80 calories per day, as it increases metabolism and helps you exercise longer with more endurance.
- Green tea stimulates the nervous system, making the fat burning process faster. It also makes your brain more active.
- Four to five cups of green tea, teamed with a high fibre diet and a vigorous cardio workout will ensure that your body works up to being toned and healthy.
- Green tea encourages good sleep, ensuring that you are well rested and ready for your workout, whether it is cardio, strength training or yoga.
This article originally appeared on 360Living.in: Green tea a healthy and effective way to lose weightFirst Published: Mar 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM