Did you know that house flies are capable of transmitting over 60 different diseases like dysentery, typhoid, cholera and gastroenteritis? And that their feet pick up bacteria from feces and garbage which is then transferred to other surfaces it sits on?
If that thought made you feel sick, can you imagine a group of them enjoying your food on the dining table? Or spending time touring your kitchen?
Here are a few tips to keep flies at bay:
- Clean your home and working areas (especially places where you eat or cook like the kitchen, dining table etc.) regularly with a good disinfectant solution. Bleach based or chlorine based cleaners are the best options.
- Dispose of stored waste regularly, and keep dustbins covered at all times. Garbage cans are a fly’s favorite breeding ground, so cutting the source would help reduce them in numbers.
- Keep all food stuffs covered, this includes fruits, that are either cut or whole. This will also reduce the number of fruit flies.
- If you have indoor plants, try not to over water them. Prune them well and discard any dead plant matter.
- Use window screens, this way you can enjoy the cool breeze while keeping the flies out
- Use insect repellant sprays in the house. Make sure you keep the spray away from children and food.
- If you have pets, make sure their waste is cleaned immediately. Also ensure that they are given a bath regularly. You could also wipe their paws after they enter the house from outside.
Don’t want to invest in expensive repellants? Here are some simple home remedies to keep flies out:
- Camphor is a great deterrent for flies. Just place a piece of it in bowls and keep them in the four corners of the room. If you have too many flies, you could light the camphor and spread the fumes throughout the room.
- Tulsi/basil is a common plant in many Indian households. Apart from all its medicinal properties, it is also a good deterrent for flies. Planting tulsi or basil at home can help in reducing the number or flies.
- If you want to invest in something low cost yet effective, a fly swat is the way to go. You now get the electric version in the market.
- Natural oils like lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil and lemon grass oil, are another great way to keep flies at bay. Soak a piece of cloth or sponge in the oil and store it in an airtight container. Keep the container open in the room that you want fly free. After use replace the lid and store. You should replenish the oils before every use.
Tired of reading? Check out our YouTube Channel