There’s no hair condition as embarrassing as dandruff. Sometimes the solution can lie in the last place you’d expect – your kitchen! Here are ten things from your kitchen that can get rid of those pesky flakes:
1. Curd (dahi) with its acidic and conditioning properties helps fight dandruff.
India.com Health tip: Ferment a small amount of curd (enough to cover your scalp) for two days. Apply it and keep it for one hour. Wash it off with a mild shampoo. Do this at least twice a week.
2. Regular henna (mehndi) application has been followed for centuries and has been known for decreasing dandruff. It has curative as well as conditioning properties.
India.com Health tip: Mix henna, amla, tea powder, lemon juice in curd. Add a few drops of hair oil. Keep aside for 10-12hrs. Apply on your hair and leave it for an hour. Wash it off with a shampoo.
3. Aloe vera gel contains healing, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
India.com Health tip: Applying fresh aloe vera gel on the scalp is another way of keeping your dandruff at bay. Keep the gel on for 30 minutes. Wash your hair with an aloe vera based shampoo.
4. Fenugreek (methi) is a herb that is readily available in our kitchen. It has anti-fungal and scalp soothing properties.
India.com Health tip: Soak fenugreek seeds overnight in water and grind to a fine paste. Apply this paste on the scalp for 30 to 45 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo.
5. Gram flour (besan) is an effective cleansing agent. It removes the dirt and is handy for getting rid of dandruff.
India.com Health tip: Apply gram flour mixed with curd on your scalp. Rinse after 20-30 minutes.
6. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Well, it can keep your dandruff away too!
India.com Health tip: It has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Make a paste with equal quantities of apple and orange and apply it on the scalp. Wash your hair after 20-30 minutes with a shampoo.
7. Neem leaves with their anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties are highly effective in controlling dandruff.
India.com Health tip: Boil neem leaves in water and use this water to rinse hair.
8. Basil leaves (Tulsi) has been used since ages for its healing properties.
India.com Health tip: Make a paste of tulsi leaves and amla powder mixed with water. Massage on the scalp. Let it remain for half an hour. Wash the hair with water.
9. Fresh lime juice, your favourite summer drink doubles up as dandruff-basher as well. The acid in lime scrubs out the dead cells and helps cure dandruff.
India.com Health tip: Add a tablespoon of fresh lime juice in water in your last rinse when you wash your hair.
10. Ginger root and beetroot, two salient features of many a classic dishes can also do wonders for your hair!
India.com Health tip: Grind ginger root and beetroot to make a paste. Every night the hair must be massaged with this paste. Rinse in the morning. It helps control dandruff effectively in about 4 to 5 nights.
Home remedies for your skin problems:
Home remedies for your hair problems:
- Hair loss
- Unwanted facial hair
- Colour greying hair
- Grandma’s remedies for skin and hair
- Oily hair
Also check out our home remedies for conditions: