You are trying your best to keep pimples away – from washing your face multiple times to the oft-suggested routine of CTM (Cleansing – Toning – Moisturizing). You try and stay away from oily and spicy food as much as possible in the Indian context. However, nothing seems to be working!
Before you do things blindly and expect results, it’s time you understand how your innocuous-looking skin products might be the hidden culprits.
As a ground rule, if you are prone to acne, look for products which have the word ‘non-comedogenic’ mentioned on the labels. (The term ‘comedogenic’ refers to products which clog the skin pores causing pimples). Apart from this, you also need to keep the following points in mind while choosing cosmetics:
1. Avoid lotions and sunscreens containing synthetic Lanolin, which is a very comedogenic substance.
2. Use hair gels, sprays and styling products very sparingly and with care. They contain alcohol and oils, which are harmful for skin with pimples. Do remember to cover your face when you are using them.
3. Avoid foundations containing Isopropyl Myristate. They can act as irritants that can flare up your acne.
3. Avoid fragrant lotions and creams. The fragrances in them can cause allergies and acne.
4. Use eye creams sparingly, only if really required. They are generally thicker than regular moisturizers.
5. Avoid glossy lipsticks and lip balms. They have higher concentrations of comedogenic substances like petroleum jelly and wax. Go for matte finish instead.
6. Avoid cream blushes and eye shadows. They are generally thicker and comedogenic. Go with powder or gel blushes and eye shadows instead.
7. Avoid eye shadows and powders containing shimmer. The mica particles in them can cause clogging of your pores.
8. Avoid using any cosmetic product beyond its expiry date.
9. Avoid using fragrant soaps to wash your face. Use a mild cleanser or face wash atleast 2-3 times a day. Take care not to scrub your face very hard when you wash it. It might just cause the acne to spread.
10. Avoid long-drawn, tempting facials with a lot of facial massage with heavy creams. Go for regular ‘clean-ups’ instead.
For more health-related videos check out our YouTube Page