Monsoon brings with it a host of hair woes. Itchy scalp, thinning of hair and your hair going limp are all associated with the onset of monsoon. Not to worry, experts have a host of suggestions to end your bad hair day.
Simple home remedies like vinegar and methi seeds can keep your hair healthy and sorted. According to experts, problems occur because humidity leads to excessive perspiration and the scalp gets oily. “Oil and sweat secretions tend to stick to hair and scalp. It also attracts grime and pollutants in the air. To handle all this, one needs to shampoo hair more frequently, especially if hair is oily,” renowned beauty expert Shahnaz Husain told IANS. Her advice is to use shampoos containing herbal extracts like shikakai, reetha, brahmi, amla and henna.
But won’t your hair get affected with frequent washing? Not at all, says hair stylist Renee Malik. “Wash hair as often as required but choose your shampoo wisely. Go for a mild cleansing shampoo for regular use and pair it up with a suitable conditioner for your hair type,” Malik told IANS.
Apart from hair fall, itchy scalp is something that troubles many people during this season. According to Geetika Mittal, this could be a sign of unhealthy hair. “Itchy scalp is a symptom of unhealthy hair; so cleansing and nourishing of hair is important. Besides that, using hair mask and getting hair spa treatment is also a good idea in this season,” Mittal said. Husain adds that the itching could be due to a scalp infection. It is best to consult a dermatologist to rule out a fungal or other scalp infection, she said.
Some homemade solutions for relief:
1. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to a mug of water and use as a last rinse after shampoo. It helps to relieve itching.
2. Experts say that oiling your hair is usually a good nourishment but one needs to take care about how long it stays during the rainy season. Since the scalp is already oily during the monsoons, oiling your hair just two hours before washing is sufficient.
3. Heat olive oil or sesame seed oil and apply on the scalp with cotton wool, rubbing gently to dislodge the flakes.
4. Rinsing your hair with water infused with the goodness of marigold is also very beneficial. Add a handful of fresh or dried marigold flowers to three cups of hot water. Allow it to stand for an hour. Strain and cool the water and use as a final rinse. It benefits oily hair, adding shine to it.
5. One can soak methi (fenugreek) seeds overnight in water. Strain the water next morning and use it to rinse the hair.
6. Wash scalp with vinegar or mash a banana and add avocado oil and apply it on hair as a mask and rinse hair after an hour.
7. Drinking amla juice first thing in the morning is advised for healthy hair and skin as it is loaded with vitamin C, iron and calcium.
8. One needs to include fresh fruits, raw salads, sprouts and yogurt in the daily diet. Also, drink at least eight glasses of water daily and avoid oily food. You can also read about foods for healthy hair here
Also read :
First Published: Aug 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM